We are the combat veterans of the 1st Battalion of the 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division (1/5/1), who served during the Vietnam War. Our Mission is to:
- Support the 1st Marine Division Association and its Scholarship Programs.
- Preserve incidents and memories of the Marines and Sailors who served with 1/5/1 during the Vietnam War.
- Foster, encourage, and perpetuate the memory and the spirit and comradeship in arms of the 1/5/1 Vietnam Veterans.
- Promote and enhance patriotism and love of country.
- Promote and safeguard the principles of justice.
- Perpetuate the spirit and traditions of the United States Marine Corps.
“The 1/5 Vietnam Veterans Unit Chapter of the 1 st Marine Division Association is a 501 (C) (19) not-for-profit corporation chartered in the state of North Carolina. All donations are tax-deductible up to the limits of the law.”
Our namesake active duty Marine Corps unit, the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, is currently serving in Darwin, Australia, as the “Marine Rotational Force – Darwin,” and should return to CONUS in October, 2014, if all goes according to plan.
Since the beginning of the Wars Against Terror in the Middle East, 1/5 has been deployed six (6) times – three 7-months tours in Iraq, and three 7-month tours in Afghanistan – during which time they were very successful in accomplishing their missions, under very challenging and complex circumstances.